Definición de McCarthyism en inglés:
A vociferous campaign against alleged communists in the US government and other institutions carried out under Senator Joseph McCarthy in the period 1950-4. Many of the accused were blacklisted or lost their jobs, though most did not in fact belong to the Communist Party.
Oraciones de ejemplo
- Computergate was a chilling welcome to a new McCarthyism, a McCarthyism not run by a centralized political authority, but enabled by a specific way of understanding and treating computer technology.
- In the school's library I found a remnant of McCarthyism stamped inside the cover of a book.
- The effect of McCarthyism on people in government and in the entertainment industry has been widely publicized.
McCarthyite (also McCarthyist) adjetivo& sustantivo
- Oraciones de ejemplo
- I would hope that all the institutions represented here would join in a protest against this McCarthyite attempt to suppress dissident views.
- In the absence of that, this is just a McCarthyist witch-hunt.
- They think it's a McCarthyite vendetta against Dr Wakefield.
Definición de McCarthyism en:
- Diccionario Inglés de EE.UU.
¿Qué te llama la atención de esta palabra o frase?
Los comentarios que no respeten nuestras Normas comunitarias podrían ser moderados o eliminados.
Muy popular en EE. UU.
Muy popular en Reino Unido
Muy popular en Australia
Muy popular en Malasia
Muy popular en India