Definición de Monophysite en inglés:
A person who holds that there is only one inseparable nature (partly divine, partly and subordinately human) in the person of Christ.
- He drew a distinction between Eutyches, who was condemned for teaching one, rather than two, natures in Christ, and the Monophysites.
- The Copts have been known ever since to the Chalcedonians as Monophysites (from monos, meaning ‘one,’ and physis, meaning ‘nature’).
- One of the attempts made on the Chalcedonian side to produce a formula acceptable to the Monophysites was Monothelitism: the teaching that although there are two natures in Christ, there is only one proper activity.
late 17th century: via ecclesiastical Latin from ecclesiastical Greek monophusitēs, from monos 'single' + phusis 'nature'.
- Example sentences
- Having concerned himself with Arianism and Monophysitism, the matter of the Donatist controversy was brought to his attention by his friend Robert Williams.
- Newman's foray into Monophysitism, still operating from the hermeneutic established in his work on Arianism, helped to pave the way for his conversion.
- Just as Newman felt liberal politics was out to use the church for political expediency, he also saw this as an element of Monophysitism.
Definición de Monophysite en:
- Inglés de EE.UU. dictionary
¿Qué te llama la atención de esta palabra o frase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan