Definición de Pterygota en inglés:
A large group of insects that comprises those that have wings or winged ancestors, including the majority of modern species. Compare with Apterygota.
- Subclass Pterygota, class Insecta (or Hexapoda): many orders
- In most insects (the Pterygota) the thorax posses one or two pairs of wings for flying.
- It is possible that Pterygota occurred as early as the Upper Devonian, but, again, there is no evidence for this.
- Example sentences
- Winged insects, or pterygotes, have radiated into over 100 times more species than all of the winged vertebrate lineages combined. They include all of the commonly encountered insects; the most common non-pterygote insect lineage are the Thysanura (silverfish and firebrats).
- While earliest insects were terrestrial, earliest pterygotes had aquatic immatures.
Definición de Pterygota en:
- Inglés de EE.UU. dictionary
¿Qué te llama la atención de esta palabra o frase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan