- A system in which the sound waves from an underwater explosion are detected and located by three or more listening stations, useful in determining the position at sea of survivors of a disaster.Más ejemplos en oraciones
- Listening in the SOFAR channel, scientists or naval personnel can record sounds whose source is thousands of kilometers away.
- In the SOFAR channel, low frequency waves may travel thousands of miles before weakening.
- Ewing and Worzel demonstrated that the SOFAR channel was capable of transmitting the low-frequency, long-wavelength sound waves produced by an explosion near the Bahama Islands to receivers stationed near the coast of Africa.
1940s: from So(und) f(ixing) a(nd) r(anging).
Más definiciones de SofarDefinición de Sofar en:
- el diccionario Inglés de EE.UU.