Definición de Sylheti en inglés:
sustantivo (plural igual or Sylhetis)
1A native or inhabitant of the region around Sylhet, a city in north-eastern Bangladesh.
- For non-Bangladeshi readers, the Sylhetis are originated from Sylhet, a district of Bangladesh and they represent the most Bangladeshi migrants to UK starting from early twentieth century.
- As for dried fish, again most West Bengali families I know detest it, but at least for Sylhetis it is a major delicacy.
- Then gradually, the first Sylhetis began to arrive.
2The dialect of Bengali spoken by the Sylheti.
- The Helpline counsellors are from the Asian community and can give advice in Hindi, Urdu, Punjabi, Gujarati and Bengali/Sylheti as well as English.
- Most South Asian participants were Bangladeshis speaking Sylheti - a dialect with no written form; they received a plan written in English, explained through a bilingual advocate.
- The community researchers translated the tapes in Punjabi, Urdu, Bengali, and Sylheti into English.
adjetivoVolver al principio
Relating to the Sylheti or their language.
- They are two bright stars of the Sylheti film industry.
- The study, costing up to £30,000 and also involving the Bangladeshi Sylheti community in east London, aims to boost the Government's understanding of the causes of forced marriages.
- In face to face interviews complications arise where different forms of the same language are used - for example, Bengali and the Sylheti variant of Bengali, the latter having no written form.
¿Qué te llama la atención de esta palabra o frase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia