(also Tadjik or Tadzhik)
Definición de Tajik en inglés:
1A member of a mainly Muslim people inhabiting Tajikistan and parts of neighbouring countries.
- The people of the area are mostly Tajiks, a Muslim ethnic minority who speak an Iranian language.
- We have Hazaras, we have Pashtuns, we have Tajiks, we have Uzbeks, we have Pashai, Nooristani, and people coming from the very remote areas of Afghanistan.
- The officer corps before 1963 was not all-inclusive, however, and was dominated by Pashtuns and Tajiks.
1.1A native or inhabitant of the republic of Tajikistan.
- The national sport of the Tajiks, gushtigiri, has a colorful tradition.
- Tajiks are the largest ethnic group, with Uzbeks making up a quarter of the population, over half of which is employed in agriculture and just one-fifth in industry.
2 [mass noun] (also Tajiki /tɑːˈdʒiːki/) The language of the Tajiks, a member of the Iranian branch of the Indo-European family.
- In the first years after independence many non-Central Asian peoples emigrated because of the establishment of Tajiki as the official language, dissatisfaction with the standard of living, and fear of political violence.
- In 1989 Tajiki became the sole official language of the country, replacing Russian and Uzbeki.
- About 14 percent of the population - mostly non-Uzbek - speak Russian as their first language; 5 percent speak Tajik.
adjetivoVolver al principio
Relating to Tajikistan, the Tajiks, or their language.
- One of the few areas where a pan-Afghan identity has emerged is through popular music, which is a hybrid of the Pashtun musical style with a lot of Tajik language.
- Many Tajiks consider themselves Uzbek, though they retain the Tajik language; this may be because they have long shared an urban lifestyle, which was more of a bond than ethnic labels.
- The curriculum includes the Tajik language and classical Persian literature.
from Persian tājik 'a Persian, someone who is neither an Arab nor a Turk'.
Definición de Tajik en:
- Inglés de EE.UU. dictionary
¿Qué te llama la atención de esta palabra o frase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia