Definición de Tory en inglés:
sustantivo (plural Tories)
- But the Liberal Democrats and the Tories did not make the breakthrough in councils they hoped for.
- Labour, the Tories and the Liberal Democrats all stand full square behind the private sector
- There is no great victory in this for the Tories or Liberal Democrats.
- The Whigs owed their name, like the Tories, to the exclusion crisis of Charles II's reign.
- Disraeli had resisted the attempts of some of his party faithful to make the Tories a solely Anglican party.
- It was much broader than Tory or church party and avoided the divisive names of Whig and Tory at a time when many were combining to overthrow Walpole.
adjetivoVolver al principio
- Conversely, the monarchical tradition in Europe and Canada fostered Tory statism.
- His childhood home was in Winton, a working-class area far in its culture from the conventional view of Bournemouth as a retirement home for Britain's highest concentration of Tory voters.
- There is a grain of truth here, but we are all now too conscious of middle-class socialists, Tory workers, and the like, to pursue this line uncritically.
Mid 17th century: probably from Irish toraidhe 'outlaw, highwayman', from tóir 'pursue'. The word was used of Irish peasants dispossessed by English settlers and living as robbers, and extended to other marauders especially in the Scottish Highlands. It was then adopted circa1679 as an abusive nickname for supporters of the Catholic James II.
- Oraciones de ejemplo
- The collapse of Toryism in Scotland has rendered many of these differences irrelevant but it's still the case that my middle-class Tory friends tend to be Rangers supporters.
- He felt he could no longer support the Conservatives but overall he says, it was the difficulty of marrying his own one nation Toryism with the convictions of the paper's owner that ultimately proved insuperable.
- ‘I want to reassert the tradition of liberal, one-nation Toryism and break with the image of extremism which is threatening our party,’ he said.
Palabras que riman con Torycacciatore, Corey, dory, Florey, flory, furore, glory, gory, hoary, hunky-dory, lory, Maury, monsignori, Montessori, multistorey, Pori, Rory, satori, saury, storey, story, vainglory
Definición de Tory en:
- Diccionario Inglés de EE.UU.
¿Qué te llama la atención de esta palabra o frase?
Los comentarios que no respeten nuestras Normas comunitarias podrían ser moderados o eliminados.