- An Indic language closely related to Hindi but written in the Persian script and having many loanwords from Persian and Arabic. It is the official language of Pakistan, and is also widely used in India and elsewhere, with about 50 million speakers worldwide.Más ejemplos en oraciones
- He saw old manuscripts and spoke about similarities of Urdu, Arabic and Persian.
- The proof of the popularity of Urdu in North India is in the sale of Urdu verse in Hindi script.
- Similar books had been written in Arabic and Urdu, but this was the first of its kind in English.
from Persian (zabān-i-)urdū '(language of the) camp' (because it developed as a lingua franca after the Muslim invasions between the occupying armies and the local people of the region around Delhi), urdū being from Turkic ordu (see horde).
Más definiciones de UrduDefinición de Urdu en:
- el diccionario Inglés de EE.UU.