Definición de Wampanoag en inglés:
sustantivo (plural igual or Wampanoags)
A member of a confederacy of American Indian peoples of SE Massachusetts.
- In March, the western Indians began negotiating for peace while the Wampanoags and Narragansetts returned to their homelands in search of food.
- Although colonists blamed ‘King Philip, ‘principal sachem of the Wampanoags, for starting hostilities, his warriors probably acted independently, not as part of an intertribal conspiracy.’
- The skulls may have hastened the war by convincing both the English and the Wampanoags that each broke promises neither made.
adjetivoVolver al principio
Relating to or denoting the Wampanoag.
- At Plimoth, the public walks through an outdoor Wampanoag village staffed by actual men and women.
- Officials vetted the text of an oration that Frank B. James, a Wampanoag leader, was slated to deliver at a banquet celebrating the 350th anniversary of the Mayflower's landing.
- The Wampanoag leader Metacomet, known as ‘King Philip’ to the English, tried to get this practice outlawed, and when the British refused, a war ensued.
Narragansett, literally 'easterners'.
Definición de Wampanoag en:
- Inglés de EE.UU. dictionary