- Which king abdicated from the British throne in 1936?
- Following this the proud king abdicated his throne to his son Anandapala and committed suicide by climbing onto his own funeral pyre.
- If the Tsar had abdicated, what would happen to us?
- It is Council responsibility to do recycling and we're abdicating our responsibility.
- Governments around the world are abdicating their responsibilities to protect the natural resources in their territory, giving authority away to the private companies involved in resource exploitation.
- What is startling about this statement is the degree to which this mayor is simply abdicating responsibility for governing the city.
Mid 16th century: from Latin abdicat- 'renounced', from the verb abdicare, from ab- 'away, from' + dicare 'declare'.
This is from Latin abdicare ‘to renounce’ from ab- ‘away, from’ and dicare ‘declare’. Examples of the sense ‘give up sovereignty’ date from the early 18th century.
For editors and proofreaders
Saltos de línea: ab¦di|cate
¿Qué te llama la atención de esta palabra o frase?
Los comentarios que no respeten nuestras Normas comunitarias podrían ser moderados o eliminados.