- 1The action of consenting to receive or undertake something offered: charges involving the acceptance of bribesMás ejemplos en oraciones
- Typically courteous, he began his acceptance speech by offering copious thanks to all and sundry.
- The commentary was her acceptance speech upon receiving the American Psychological Society's William James Fellow Award.
- While Dr Mullins has received irrevocable acceptances of his offer from shareholders, owning 36% of the company, it is now considered a near certainty that the buyout will fail.
- 1.1 [count noun] A draft or bill of exchange that is accepted by being signed: a banker’s acceptanceMás ejemplos en oraciones
- The markets for bills of exchange and bankers' acceptances are simply too small to be of any use.
- Taxable funds mainly invest in U.S. Treasury securities, government agency securities, repurchase agreements, CDs, commercial paper and bankers' acceptances.
- Other fixed-interest investments such as T-bills, bankers' acceptances and certificates of deposit are also popular.
- 2The process or fact of being received as adequate, valid, or suitable: you must wait for acceptance into the villageMás ejemplos en oraciones
- While few would question that a married couple and their dependent children form a family unit, others receive less uniform social acceptance.
- All parents want happiness for their children, and social acceptance is a critical factor at any age.
- What we see as cultural acceptance might in fact be cultural imperialism - in the same way that Indian tea has long been seen as an English drink.
- 3Agreement with or belief in an idea or explanation: acceptance of the teaching of the ChurchMás ejemplos en oraciones
- In our age, the term has become almost synonymous with an irrational acceptance of beliefs for which we lack evidence.
- ‘Due to the very favourable acceptance of the idea by the French people, the holiday is now celebrated all over the world,’ said Venkova.
- ‘Very good, that one,’ he reiterates his acceptance of my ideas.
- 3.1Willingness to tolerate a difficult situation: a mood of resigned acceptanceMás ejemplos en oraciones
- His resigned acceptance of the situations in which the plot places him is a masterpiece of understated comedy acting and very, very effective.
- Instead, she underscores the importance of the players acceptance of difficult challenges in the name of promoting something they believe in.
- But, what was intended as an evening of educating the public seemed to result in a call for mobilisation rather than sedate acceptance of situation.
mid 16th century: from Old French, from accepter (see accept).