Definición de admonish en inglés:
- It is important that you don't chastise or admonish yourself for your feelings.
- When they reached the Squad's room, they all turned to either glare at or admonish Vi.
- When Stephen King won the National Book Award he used the opportunity to admonish critics for not reading more John Grisham.
- In addition, clients are admonished to drink at least two quarts of water each day to help cleanse the body of toxins associated with weight loss and exercise.
- And Lloyd Best in rebuttal admonished us never to be ‘cautious’ about criticising leadership.
- But doctors are admonished to prescribe this pain reliever only with the utmost caution for a patient with limited kidney function.
- We are admonished to avoid speaking ill of the dead, so we'll leave Derrida with this wonderful little story by Michael Martone, a leading figure in the Johns Hopkins creative writing program during the 1960s.
- Each of the moral rules admonishes us to avoid causing a harm…
Middle English amonest 'urge, exhort', from Old French amonester, based on Latin admonere 'urge by warning'. Later, the final -t of amonest was taken to indicate the past tense, and the present tense changed on the pattern of verbs such as abolish; the prefix became ad- in the 16th century by association with the Latin form.
monitor from early 16th century:
Today's familiar uses of monitor, for a computer or TV screen or for checking the progress or quality of something, date only from the mid 20th century. A much earlier sense was ‘a reminder or warning’, reflecting its origin in Latin monere ‘to warn’, the source also of admonish (Middle English), monster (Late Middle English), and monument (Middle English). A monitor lizard is a large tropical lizard, in Australia also called a goanna (a L19th corruption of iguana), whose name derives from the way its reactions can warn people of the presence of a venomous creature. In schools from the 16th century a monitor was a pupil with responsibility for supervising and disciplining other pupils, who in the past might have done some teaching.
- Oraciones de ejemplo
- The traditional critical admonishment to distinguish between a writer and his or her work is discarded.
- So we were taken aback the other day when an email we had sent to a York PR firm bounced back, accompanied by a strict admonishment.
- However, enforcement of the dress code regulations has been uneven and, when it occurred, generally consisted of verbal admonishment by security forces.
Palabras que riman con admonishastonish, donnish
¿Qué te llama la atención de esta palabra o frase?
Los comentarios que no respeten nuestras Normas comunitarias podrían ser moderados o eliminados.