- 1 [in singular] The protection, backing, or support of a particular person or organization: the negotiations were conducted under the aegis of the UNMás ejemplos en oraciones
- As a quasi-governmental organization, it enjoys protection under the aegis of HM Government.
- These facilities are hidden in various ways, frequently coming under the aegis of innocuous organizations.
- That piece of evidence is the document produced under the aegis of the UN Security Council.
- 2(In classical art and mythology) an attribute of Zeus and Athene (or their Roman counterparts Jupiter and Minerva) usually represented as a goatskin shield.Más ejemplos en oraciones
- Here the goddess wears her high-crested helmet, and a himation replaces her aegis over the peplos.
- Athena wears her high-crested Attic helmet, a colorful and embroidered peplos, and her aegis.
- That's why he let her use his insignia: the terrible shield, the aegis and his devastating weapon, the ray.
early 17th century (denoting armour or a shield, especially that of a god): via Latin from Greek aigis 'shield of Zeus'.