Definición de agamospermy en inglés:
sustantivo[mass noun] Botany
Asexual reproduction in which seeds are produced from unfertilized ovules.
- Asexual seed production, agamospermy, occurs in >40 flowering plant families but is most prevalent in the grasses, Asteraceae, and Rosaceae.
- Seeds are not produced without fertilization (absence of agamospermy).
- None of these species set seed through agamospermy or autonomous self-pollination; therefore they depend entirely on pollinating agents for their reproduction.
1930s: from Greek agamos 'unmarried' + sperma 'seed'.
- Example sentences
- Plants of A. laevigata at Scott's Grove are not agamospermous; seeds are sexually produced.
- Even though six species show a certain degree of self-compatibility, four of them present a form of late-acting self-incompatibility, and the individual of B. pubipetala is agamospermous.
- Arabis laevigata is capable of both self- and cross-fertilization and is not agamospermous.
Definición de agamospermy en:
- Inglés de EE.UU. dictionary
¿Qué te llama la atención de esta palabra o frase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia