Definición de agonist en inglés:
1 Biochemistry A substance which initiates a physiological response when combined with a receptor. Compare with antagonist.
- They may mimic naturally occurring steroids, act as hormone receptor agonists or antagonists or alter the enzymes responsible for hormone synthesis and degradation.
- Medications that can reduce androgen levels include estrogen, gonadotropin-releasing hormone agonists, and glucocorticoids.
- These observations provide support for the model that glucose and structurally related sugars are agonists of the Gpr1 receptor.
2 Anatomy A muscle whose contraction moves a part of the body directly: [as modifier]: there is a failure to select the right agonist muscles Compare with antagonist.
Más ejemplos en oraciones
- In addition, we believe that the agonist / antagonist muscle ratios are important values when considering how the scapula provides stability, mobility, and symptom-free function.
- The agonist and antagonist muscles work in concert to create muscular balance in the human body.
- It's a matter of muscle aesthetics: The upper arm looks best when both its opposing muscle groups, the agonists and antagonists - that's bis and tris to you - carry a complementary amount of muscle.
- Example sentences
- Studies have clearly demonstrated that key therapies in the acute attack of migraine share the common pharmacologic activity of serotonin receptor agonism.
- Rather, all known abused drugs affect a limited number of neurotransmitters by agonism or antagonism of a specific receptor site.
- An agonist is described as a drug that binds to and activates receptors; the possibility of spontaneous receptor activity and therefore of inverse agonism is not mentioned.
Definición de agonist en:
- Inglés de EE.UU. dictionary
¿Qué te llama la atención de esta palabra o frase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan