sustantivo (plural agonies)[mass noun]
- 1Extreme physical or mental suffering: he crashed to the ground in agonyMás ejemplos en oraciones
- What sort of world is this that predisposes roughly 20 percent of human beings to suffer mental agonies?
- Grams argues that all social layers share in life's abundance of physical and mental agonies.
- Very many others suffered those same physical agonies.
- 1.1The final stages of a difficult or painful death: his last agonyMás ejemplos en oraciones
- Only by concerted action can we counter the sheer humanity of those who wish to prolong the agony of death.
- We want to ensure they have a dignified death and do not die in agony.
- One can hardly feel the intensity of the agony that he is supposed to have endured in his final hours on earth.
late Middle English (originally denoting mental anguish alone): via Old French and late Latin from Greek agōnia, from agōn 'contest'. The sense of physical suffering dates from the early 17th century.