The letter H.
Oraciones de ejemplo
- The dropping of aitches is widespread and is generally considered substandard.
- But he also drops some of his aitches, so he'll say ‘orse for horse, and that's something that doesn't usually happen in Scotland.
- To describe the noise, I've tried every combination of vowels and aitches.
drop one's aitches
- Fail to pronounce the letter h at the beginning of words, a characteristic feature of certain dialects.Oraciones de ejemplo
- Are we the only ones who drop our aitches and do we really say ‘were’ instead of ` was’.
- If a policeman writes in why does he have to drop his aitches and sound gruff and arrogant?
- When the soldier speaks he drops his aitches and several other letters.
Mid 16th century: from Old French ache.
For editors and proofreaders
Saltos de línea: aitch
Definición de aitch en:
¿Qué te llama la atención de esta palabra o frase?
Los comentarios que no respeten nuestras Normas comunitarias podrían ser moderados o eliminados.
Muy popular en Reino Unido
Muy popular en Australia
= de moda