Definición de allotment en inglés:
1British A plot of land rented by an individual for growing vegetables or flowers.
- Some of them have nice gardens at home for flowers, and want the allotments to grow vegetables.
- The couple have grown vegetables on two allotments on the Pickards Field site behind their home for 11 years.
- As newlyweds in the 1940s, the couple had rented a small allotment and grown potatoes, cabbages and salad crops, to help enrich their restricted diet amid post-war rationing.
1.1US , chiefly historical A piece of land made over by the government to an American Indian.
- After Ojibwa families took their allotments, unallotted land on reservations was then sold to the public.
- Other measures, most notably the Burke Act of 1906, allowed Indians to sell their allotments.
- For the Choctaws in Oklahoma, allotment proved to be disastrous.
2 [mass noun] The action of allotting something: the allotment of equity securities
Más ejemplos en oraciones
- The threat of delisting was related at the time to the fact that this allotment of shares had been made.
- You are right to blame the airlines, by the way: It is their design and their allotment of space that has turned coach accommodations into sardine cans for humans.
- The allotment of shares in the Estate Company, in satisfaction of the purchase price under the 1924 Contract, was made on 29th October 1924.
allocation, assignment, issuing, issuance, awarding, grant, granting, administration, earmarking, designation, setting aside, budgeting;
sharing out, apportionment, distribution, handing out, dealing out, doling out, giving out, parcelling out, rationing out, dividing out, dividing up, dispensation, measuring out, meting out
2.1 [count noun] An amount allotted to a person.
- Dosages can range from minimal allotments to toxic amounts with a variety of outcomes.
- Mr Mwencha said payments for share allotments is expected to be completed over a maximum period of 12 months commencing in January.
- A few weeks ago I commented that many of our Lower Mainland lakes were being stocked with noticeably smaller allotments of rainbow trout.
¿Qué te llama la atención de esta palabra o frase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan