(In historical or religious contexts) the practice of giving money or food to poor people: benevolence in the form of almsgiving was encouraged
Más ejemplos en oraciones
- On the other hand, Jesus points out that if believers faithfully practice almsgiving, prayer, and fasting then an unstated heavenly reward awaits them.
- They forgot that God was actually the beginning and end of all their prayer, fasting and almsgiving - and began to see the world revolving round themselves.
- He was a regular observer of religious rites, took great pains to secure decorum in the services of the church, and was generous in almsgiving both within his empire and without.
- Más ejemplos en oraciones
- He caught the attention of Archbishop Hubert Walter by 1195, and through him became confessor and alms-giver to King John from 1204 to 1207.
- These good souls are clearly survivals from the alms-givers of the medieval Church.
- Unlike the almsgivers of past times to whom suffering was suffering and to be alleviated however it had been incurred, these men are stern moralists.
Definición de almsgiving en:
- el diccionario Inglés de EE.UU.