Definición de anglicize en inglés:
Make English in form or character: he anglicized his name to Goodman (as adjective anglicized) an anglicized form of a Navajo word
Más ejemplos en oraciones
- This comic operetta tells the story of a South Sea Island despot who wishes to anglicise his island by importing all things English.
- For Owen, to whom speaking English has brought success and respectability, anglicising Irish place names represents the modernisation of Ireland as a nation.
- While not anti-English, it is decidedly pro-Gaelic (even insisting on Gaelic names in cases where anglicised forms are far more familiar to Scots) and tends to be anti-Presbyterian.
- Example sentences
- Our own town of Athy owes its name to the anglicization of the Gaelic place name Ath Í meaning the Ford of Ae.
- The Union had brought remarkable benefits but at the cost of anglicisation; as Scott put it, ‘what makes Scotland Scotland is fast disappearing’.
- A letter of complaint has been sent to An Post about the anglicisation of its name to The Post Office and a motion condemning this retrograde step was passed unanimously.
Definición de anglicize en:
- Inglés de EE.UU. dictionary
¿Qué te llama la atención de esta palabra o frase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan