sustantivo (plural anniversaries)
- The celebrations marking the 60th anniversary of the event have been unprecedented in scope.
- Postage stamps are often issued to commemorate the anniversary of an important event.
- This month marks the 70th anniversary of the opening of the first drive-in theater.
- Who else can say they got divorced on the tenth anniversary of their wedding?
- No matter how old you are it is important not to forget your wedding anniversary as Pat Evans found out to his cost last week.
- A couple approaching their golden anniversary have thanked the Lord for 50 years of marital bliss.
Middle English: from Latin anniversarius 'returning yearly', from annus 'year' + versus 'turning'.
annual from Late Middle English:
This comes via Old French from late Latin annualis, based on Latin annus ‘year’. The notion of a ‘yearbook’ recording events of the past year, arose in the late 17th century. From the same word we get annals (mid 16th century) from Latin annales (libri) ‘yearly (books)’ giving a historical record of the events throughout each year; anniversary (Middle English) ‘returning yearly’; annuity (Late Middle English) something paid ‘yearly’; perennial (mid 17th century) ‘[lasting] through the year’; and the Latin phrases annus horribilis ‘year of disasters’ and annus mirabilis ‘wonderful year’.
Palabras que riman con anniversarybursary, cursory, mercery, nursery
For editors and proofreaders
Saltos de línea: an¦ni|ver¦sary
¿Qué te llama la atención de esta palabra o frase?
Los comentarios que no respeten nuestras Normas comunitarias podrían ser moderados o eliminados.