Definición de anoint en inglés:
- According to some reports, when they returned two days later to anoint his body, they found the tomb empty.
- The women speculate on the stone and who will move it for them so they can anoint the body.
- One traditional practice that is part of this belief system is anointing one's body with butter or ghee, a clarified butter used for cooking and other purposes.
- Because if you're anointing your appliances with olive oil because a WEBSITE told you to, you're clearly easily manipulated.
- We see the example of the act of anointing people with oil for physical ailments…
- When I started at the Savoy my temporary boss was the young Spanish man who, as previously described, had anointed my middle finger with vintage brandy.
- This was the oil they used to anoint kings and priests, and that upon John the Baptist anointing Jesus, Jesus sees a vision of God, and the Holy Spirit descends on him.
- In 754 Pope Stephen II personally went to Ponthion to consecrate his power through the highly symbolical act of ceremonially anointing Pippin as king.
- But when the time comes for a conclave to anoint a new pontiff to lead the world's 1.1 billion Catholics, John Paul's influence will still be considerable.
- Their shot at least one network anchor job was eliminated this past summer when MSNBC anchor Brian Williams was anointed the successor to NBC veteran anchor Tom Brokaw.
- Such a reputation has Harrington that in Houston, Charles Barkley had anointed him his successor at power forward.
- As a hardline right-winger in the early 1990s I was personally anointed by Margaret Thatcher as her chosen successor.
unction from (Late Middle English):
This is from Latin unctio, from unguere ‘anoint’, also the source of unguent (Late Middle English), and via French of anoint (Middle English) and ointment (Middle English). The phrase extreme unction in the Roman Catholic Church refers to a final anointing of a sick person in danger of death. Unctuous had the early sense ‘greasy; like an ointment’, which rapidly developed into ‘rich’. The sense ‘having spiritual unction’ developed in the mid 18th century, but rapidly developed the sense that this was hypocritical.
Anointing of the Sick
- (In the Roman Catholic Church) the sacramental anointing of the ill or infirm with blessed oil; unction.Example sentences
- There will be Sacrament of the Anointing of the Sick at 2.30 pm.
- There will be a special Mass on Thursday at 3pm during which the Sacrament of the Anointing of the Sick will be celebrated.
- In the Romanian Orthodox church, the Anointing of the Sick is administered by three priests and may be given to the healthy to prevent illness.
God's (or the Lord's) anointed
- A monarch ruling by divine right: the ceremonial reminded the king’s subjects that he was God’s anointedMás ejemplos en oraciones
- Reacting to this injustice with the righteous indignation of the Lord's anointed, David is enraged that anything so egregious, so pitiless, should take place in his kingdom.
- Instead of praising the act of killing Saul as merciful and kind, David calls for the man to be executed because of his not being afraid to destroy the Lord's anointed.
- As the sons of Jesse were paraded before Samuel, even the Lord's servant said of Eliab: ‘Surely the Lord's anointed stands here’.
- Example sentences
- These anointers have a poor record of backing candidates who know right from wrong and avoid ethical conflicts.
- I was one of the priest anointers and someone requested a proxy anointing for a relative.
- Please give the priest or lay anointer your name or the name of the person for whom you are requesting prayer, a first name is sufficient.
- Example sentences
- Hundreds and thousands of people line up for him to do anointment.
- He wasn't alone in being unsure exactly what it was supposed to mean, but it was clearly an anointment for the future.
- But her anointment by Mr. da Silva, who has steered Brazil through one of its greatest periods of prosperity, automatically made her a contender.
¿Qué te llama la atención de esta palabra o frase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.