Definición de anthology en inglés:
sustantivo (plural anthologies)
- A young football fan is to see her name in print and her soccer poem published in an anthology.
- She notes that because much of today's market is dependent on college survey courses, among the volumes of poetry published, only anthologies can hope for mass-market success.
- She has had poetry published in several anthologies, and short stories in a range of journals and magazines.
- You may find it more satisfying to listen to their early albums rather than this anthology.
- Any anthology of Lennon's work draws comparisons with his songwriting partner.
- Jay is currently working with past members of the band in order to put out an anthology for a soon to be issued pressing.
mid 17th century: via French or medieval Latin from Greek anthologia, from anthos 'flower' + -logia 'collection' (from legein 'gather'). In Greek, the word originally denoted a collection of the ‘flowers’ of verse, i.e. small choice poems or epigrams, by various authors.
An anthology is literally a collection of flowers. The Greek word anthologia (from anthos ‘flower’, source also of the botanical anther (early 18th century), and logia ‘collection’) was applied to a collection of the ‘flowers’ of verse, poems by various authors that had been chosen as being especially fine. Writing in 1580, the French essayist Montaigne uses the same metaphor: ‘It could be said of me that in this book I have only made up a bunch of other men's flowers, providing of my own only the string that ties them together.’ See also posy
- Oraciones de ejemplo
- If only anthologists would give the date and title of collections that poems are drawn from they would help readers place the material in some context.
- He's one of England's most active and knowledgable anthologists.
- Despite the efforts of most anthologists, her writing also resists stereotyping.
¿Qué te llama la atención de esta palabra o frase?
Los comentarios que no respeten nuestras Normas comunitarias podrían ser moderados o eliminados.