A weather system with high barometric pressure at its centre, around which air slowly circulates in a clockwise (northern hemisphere) or anticlockwise (southern hemisphere) direction. Anticyclones are associated with calm, fine weather.
Oraciones de ejemplo
- In summer, the weather associated with anticyclones is usually fine and cloud-free.
- All sorts of weather systems can have an impact, dependent on the location, such as mid-latitude cyclones, subtropical anticyclones, monsoon systems, and tropical cyclones.
- In our hemisphere, areas of high barometric pressure, anticyclones, create winds which circulate anticlockwise.
- Oraciones de ejemplo
- In the quiet anticyclonic periods, after sunny days, come the damaging night frosts.
- These temperature layers are referred to as the lapse rate and anticyclonic conditions are associated with ‘stable’ lapse rates.
- The remote end of the cold front is thus behind the anticyclonic core.
For editors and proofreaders
Saltos de línea: anti|cyc¦lone
Definición de anticyclone en:
¿Qué te llama la atención de esta palabra o frase?
Los comentarios que no respeten nuestras Normas comunitarias podrían ser moderados o eliminados.
Muy popular en Reino Unido
Muy popular en Australia
= de moda