sustantivo[mass noun] Linguistics
- Omission of the final sound of a word, as when cup of tea is pronounced as cuppa tea.Más ejemplos en oraciones
- In these dialects many words end in a consonant but they cannot be seen as an apocope of an Italian word.
- In literature apocope is confined to poetry, but in the prose inscriptions of the dialects it is frequent.
- Cross-linguistically, vowels that undergo apocope usually follow the stressed syllable; apocope in Greek, however, often appears to occur in vowels that precede accented syllables.
mid 16th century: from late Latin, from Greek apokoptein 'cut off', from apo- 'from' + koptein 'to cut'.
Más definiciones de apocopeDefinición de apocope en:
- el diccionario Inglés de EE.UU.