Definición de apotropaic en inglés:
Supposedly having the power to avert evil influences or bad luck: apotropaic statues
Más ejemplos en oraciones
- Inasmuch as literary wounds take on the role of ‘talking cures,’ so too is storytelling apotropaic: it has the power to avert evil influence or ill luck.
- These names are considered to have apotropaic power to protect the new-born from the evil eye.
- The apotropaic powers of Arabic letters, phrases, verses, and writing themselves are central to Mouride belief systems and, indeed, Sufi mysticism more generally.
- Oraciones de ejemplo
- The griffins at the ends of the sarcophagus are mythical monsters that preside apotropaically as guardians over the deceased.
- An amulet shaped like a turtle, a creature of darkness, took the form of the very entity its wearer wished to avoid and thus acted apotropaically.
- Amulets of flies appear from the earliest Dynasties, worn either apotropaically, to ward off the attentions of the insect by its amuletic image, or to endow its wearer by sympathetic magic with the insect's fertility since flies are remarkable for the huge numbers in which they breed.
Late 19th century: from Greek apotropaios 'averting evil', from apotrepein 'turn away or from' + -ic.
Definición de apotropaic en:
- Diccionario Inglés de EE.UU.
¿Qué te llama la atención de esta palabra o frase?
Los comentarios que no respeten nuestras Normas comunitarias podrían ser moderados o eliminados.
Muy popular en Reino Unido
Muy popular en Australia
= de moda