Definición de apposition en inglés:
1chiefly technical The positioning of things side by side or close together.
- These connections consisted of close appositions between nonspecialized areas of the plasma membranes of the 2 cells.
- The first seven bead appositions led to spikes in the fiber position that represent adhesive events of varying duration.
- Hence the plug is a specialized cytoplasmic structure, unlike desmosomes, gap junctions, or septate junctions, which are formed from membrane appositions.
2 Grammar A relationship between two or more words or phrases in which the two units are grammatically parallel and have the same referent (e.g. my friend Sue; the first US president, George Washington).
- Long sentences with subclauses loosely strung together and lots of words in apposition likewise suggest that meaning can be continually modified rather than structured into discrete differential units.
- By means of the universal ‘I,’ he brings the concepts of performance and political involvement into apposition with the categories of immigrant, exile, and criminal.
- You find, if you change a direction, you get an opposition and an apposition, which creates an irony, which creates a metaphor.
- 1 adjetivo& sustantivo
- Example sentences
- By virtue of the appositional relation, ‘the crime’ is elaborated as ‘shoplifting’, while ‘shoplifting’ is categorized as ‘a crime’.
- Opting for an unusually loose, appositional syntax which strings together phrases or clauses that come at a phenomenon from different angles, he manages to give a sensuous concreteness to abstract concepts.
- The complex appositional NP in the pledge does commit the pledger to a number of claims: that the USA is a single nation, located under God in some sense, indivisible, having liberty for all, and having justice for all.
Definición de apposition en:
- Inglés de EE.UU. dictionary
¿Qué te llama la atención de esta palabra o frase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan