Definición de archon en inglés:
Each of the nine chief magistrates in ancient Athens.
Oraciones de ejemplo
- At the beginning of every year, dramatists submitted their plays to the archon, or chief magistrate.
- He writes, ‘the meaning of ‘archive,’ its only meaning, comes to it from the Greek arkheion: initially a house, a domicile, an address, the residence of the superior magistrates, the archons, those who commanded’ .
- Interestingly, Meritt initially raised 412/1 as a possibility, restoring Kallias as the archon, an individual whose demotic matched that preserved on fragment 1, Skambonides.
Late 16th century: from Greek arkhōn 'ruler', noun use of the present participle of arkhein 'to rule'.
- Oraciones de ejemplo
- In addition, anyone convicted of dishonouring his parents could be struck off the citizen-lists and was considered automatically disqualified from an archonship, or from the right to address the people.
- This took place in the archonship of Hegesias, five years after the first establishment of his rule.
- After the war, Aristides was instrumental in making the archonships open to all male citizens.
Palabras que riman con archonracon • Comecon • emoticon
Definición de archon en:
- Diccionario Inglés de EE.UU.
¿Qué te llama la atención de esta palabra o frase?
Los comentarios que no respeten nuestras Normas comunitarias podrían ser moderados o eliminados.
Muy popular en EE. UU.
Muy popular en Reino Unido
Muy popular en Australia
Muy popular en India