- 1Evoke or awaken (a feeling, emotion, or response): something about the man aroused the guard’s suspicions the letter aroused in him a sense of urgencyMás ejemplos en oraciones
- Accepting a position at Princeton, he attended a course on knot theory by R Fox and from this his interest was aroused in combinatorial group theory.
- My interest was aroused in him because of the book that he was carrying.
- Their confusion about how to shape their lives in response to these conditions arouses anxiety, and many abuse their spouse and children or turn to drugs and alcohol to alleviate their tension.
- 1.1Excite or provoke (someone) to anger or strong emotions: an ability to influence the audience and to arouse the massesMás ejemplos en oraciones
- Immediately I am aroused by a strong, familiar, and comforting smell.
- The aim seemed solely to arouse people emotionally and expose basic instincts without any component of catharsis or cleansing as was the norm with the calypso art-form of yesteryear.
- Resistance to the British in Virginia, he wrote, was like ‘a shock of electricity, arousing every man and placing him erect and solidly on his centre.’
- 1.2Excite (someone) sexually: his touch, which had so aroused her moments before, unnerved her now (as adjective aroused) she told him how aroused she wasMás ejemplos en oraciones
- Some boys reported that he was sexually aroused when he did this and others reported being shown pornography.
- Up until now, few had tried to develop a drug to sexually arouse women because the task involves more than getting blood to move around.
- He says it is something that will sexually arouse a person every time he/she is exposed to the stimulus.
- 2Awaken (someone) from sleep: she had been aroused from deep slumberMás ejemplos en oraciones
- This had probably been done with the view of arousing me from sleep.
- One evening, after the household had gone to sleep, Jane was aroused by the smell of smoke - to find Mr. Rochester's bed on fire.
- On admission to the PACU, Mrs L's vital signs were stable, and she was aroused from sleep easily.
- Más ejemplos en oraciones
- Use of lower doses may facilitate a patient being more arousable, but may provide less consistent sedation and a greater chance for movement during selected procedures.
- Physical examination revealed a febrile, obtunded female, arousable to painful stimuli with no Babinski or Hoffmann signs.
- She remained arousable, and her hyperventilation gradually resolved within 1 week, enabling complete withdrawal of all respiratory suppressants.
late 16th century: from rouse, on the pattern of the pair of rise, arise.