- 1Reach a place at the end of a journey or a stage in a journey: we arrived at his house and knocked at the door the team arrived in New Delhi on July 30 they had recently arrived from TurkeyMás ejemplos en oraciones
come, get here/there, reach one's destination, make it, appear, put in an appearance, make an appearance, come on the scene, come up, approach, enter, present oneself, turn up, be along, come along, materialize; West Indian reachreach, get to, get as far as, come to, make, make it to, set foot on, gain, attain; end up at, land up at, fetch up at• informal hit, wind up at
- Now safe from harm, he and his parents continued their journey and when they arrived in Timnah the lovers looked at each other and were pleased.
- Shehadeh had arrived in Edinburgh after a torturous journey from Ramallah which continues to bear the brunt of the Israeli occupation.
- The Varley family finally arrived in Shannon on the Sunday afternoon and Tony arrived in Westport just in time to go on stage.
- 1.1(Of a thing) be brought or delivered: the invitation arrived a few days laterMás ejemplos en oraciones
- Customers on Blue Line 1 will be pleased to know that 12 new double deck buses will arrive early in November bringing much needed extra capacity on this busy route.
- The circulating nurse verifies that the implant components have arrived and brings them to the OR.
- I once ordered flowers at another florist's with the same time span for delivery and the flowers arrived on time.
- 2(Of an event or a particular moment) happen or come: we will be in touch with them when the time arrivesMás ejemplos en oraciones
- When the Moment of Truth arrives, the user sees the results of a proper double-blind test.
- After a long and abrasive period of campaigning, the UK General Election has finally arrived.
- For such a prospect requires that an infinite number of events must have elapsed before the present moment could arrive.
- 2.1(Of a new development or product) come into existence or use: microcomputers arrived at the start of the 1970sMás ejemplos en oraciones
- For local residents, the long wait for offshore petroleum development to arrive on their shores is over.
- Dell seems determined to pick up Intel's Yamhill product when it arrives - one day.
- But this time around, it's a much more polished entertainer, although it's overshadowed by products yet to arrive.
- 3 (arrive at) Reach (a conclusion or decision): they arrived at the same conclusionMás ejemplos en oraciones
- The conclusion they arrive at is the only logical one it is possible to reach.
- And he is hardly alone in arriving at the conclusion that Monty has dodged a very serious bullet.
- I would love to say that I have agonized long and hard before arriving at this decision.
- 4(Of a baby) be born: he will feel jealous when a new baby arrivesMás ejemplos en oraciones
- Twin babies girls arrived in Culleen recently to proud parents Pat and Mary Needham.
- It was the best Christmas present of all for a young Stromness family when baby girl Holly arrived on Boxing Day.
- The first Swindon babies of 2003 began arriving in the early hours of the year.
- 5 • informal Achieve success or recognition: he still has to pinch himself to be sure he really has arrivedMás ejemplos en oraciones
succeed, achieve success, be successful, be a success, do well, get ahead, reach the top, make good, prosper, flourish, thrive, advance, triumph, be victorious, break through, become famous, achieve recognition• informal make it, make the grade, cut it, crack it, make a name for oneself, make one's mark, get somewhere, do all right for oneself, bring home the bacon, find a place in the sun
- However, if you struggle too much then you won't actually be able to achieve victory once you arrive.
- The Miller Glasgow International Comedy Festival has finally arrived as a major fixture in the comic calendar.
Middle English (in the sense 'reach the shore after a voyage'): from Old French ariver, based on Latin ad- 'to' + ripa 'shore'.