Definición de arriviste en inglés:
An ambitious or ruthlessly self-seeking person.
- Full of arrivistes and the new rich for whom desperate consumption was a proof of being, its secret world (secret, that is, to all not admitted to the charmed circles of the West End) revolved around sex and gambling.
- Even the arrivistes in California understood the sophistication required for a vigneron, commissioning fine architects to enhance their vineyards with beautiful buildings.
- The ‘image’ of a city like Tokyo or New York might well come from star-struck arrivistes rather than locals.
- Example sentences
- Fortunately, however, the book is much more than a tale of the shameless arrivisme and social contortions of an outsider determined to be accepted by the British upper class.
- One of the more overlooked lines in The Importance Of Being Earnest is Lady Bracknell's passing remark that she had no fortune whatever before she married; she may, in other words, have been herself guilty of exactly the arrivisme of which she implicitly accuses the handbag-foundling Jack Worthing.
- In the current period of stagnation, arrivisme, and regression, it seems right to think of Lotman's work as testifying to those shoots of modest but tenacious vitality that sometimes - indeed, more often than one might think - grow under the snows of Russian winter and that the West is not always alert or sensitive enough to detect.
¿Qué te llama la atención de esta palabra o frase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan