- An ambitious or ruthlessly self-seeking person.Más ejemplos en oraciones
- Full of arrivistes and the new rich for whom desperate consumption was a proof of being, its secret world (secret, that is, to all not admitted to the charmed circles of the West End) revolved around sex and gambling.
- Even the arrivistes in California understood the sophistication required for a vigneron, commissioning fine architects to enhance their vineyards with beautiful buildings.
- The ‘image’ of a city like Tokyo or New York might well come from star-struck arrivistes rather than locals.
- Más ejemplos en oraciones
- Fortunately, however, the book is much more than a tale of the shameless arrivisme and social contortions of an outsider determined to be accepted by the British upper class.
- One of the more overlooked lines in The Importance Of Being Earnest is Lady Bracknell's passing remark that she had no fortune whatever before she married; she may, in other words, have been herself guilty of exactly the arrivisme of which she implicitly accuses the handbag-foundling Jack Worthing.
- In the current period of stagnation, arrivisme, and regression, it seems right to think of Lotman's work as testifying to those shoots of modest but tenacious vitality that sometimes - indeed, more often than one might think - grow under the snows of Russian winter and that the West is not always alert or sensitive enough to detect.
early 20th century: from French, from arriver (see arrive).