An ambitious or ruthlessly self-seeking person.
Oraciones de ejemplo
- Full of arrivistes and the new rich for whom desperate consumption was a proof of being, its secret world (secret, that is, to all not admitted to the charmed circles of the West End) revolved around sex and gambling.
- Even the arrivistes in California understood the sophistication required for a vigneron, commissioning fine architects to enhance their vineyards with beautiful buildings.
- The ‘image’ of a city like Tokyo or New York might well come from star-struck arrivistes rather than locals.
- Oraciones de ejemplo
- Fortunately, however, the book is much more than a tale of the shameless arrivisme and social contortions of an outsider determined to be accepted by the British upper class.
- One of the more overlooked lines in The Importance Of Being Earnest is Lady Bracknell's passing remark that she had no fortune whatever before she married; she may, in other words, have been herself guilty of exactly the arrivisme of which she implicitly accuses the handbag-foundling Jack Worthing.
- In the current period of stagnation, arrivisme, and regression, it seems right to think of Lotman's work as testifying to those shoots of modest but tenacious vitality that sometimes - indeed, more often than one might think - grow under the snows of Russian winter and that the West is not always alert or sensitive enough to detect.
Early 20th century: from French, from arriver (see arrive).
Palabras que riman con arrivisteartiste, batiste, beast, dirigiste, east, feast, least, Mideast, modiste, northeast, piste, priest, southeast, uncreased, unreleased, yeast
For editors and proofreaders
Saltos de línea: ar¦riv|iste
¿Qué te llama la atención de esta palabra o frase?
Los comentarios que no respeten nuestras Normas comunitarias podrían ser moderados o eliminados.
Muy popular en Reino Unido
Muy popular en Australia
= de moda