- 1Masonry made of large square-cut stones, used as a facing on walls of brick or stone rubble: seven windows are set in ashlar along the upper floor [as modifier]: ashlar blocksMás ejemplos en oraciones
- The ground or basement story of the Alabama capitol was constructed of traditional masonry consisting of ashlar walls made of locally quarried sandstone.
- The defensive wall was of fine ashlar masonry with a pronounced batter.
- It is built of rubble stone with ashlar dressings on a granite plinth.
- 1.1 [count noun] A stone used in ashlar.Más ejemplos en oraciones
- Mr Wilshaw promotes the idea of replacement of the damaged stones with reclaimed ashlars.
- The tombs were made of ashlars with dry joints, or of bricks and mortar.
- The gaps above the designated ashlars have been cleared of debris and new ashlars have been inserted.
Middle English: from Old French aisselier from Latin axilla, diminutive of axis 'plank'.
Más definiciones de ashlarDefinición de ashlar en:
- el diccionario Inglés de EE.UU.