Definición de assegai en inglés:
sustantivo (plural assegais)
1A slender, iron-tipped, hardwood spear used chiefly by southern African peoples.
- Inside the village, park visitors could divide their attention, and their spare change, between a fortune-telling ‘bone thrower’ and a neutered ‘warrior,’ harmlessly gyrating with his assegai and shield.
- Their assailants were armed with knobkierries, assegais and machetes.
- Police recovered five rifles, 18 sidearms, 84 bullets, and 700 assegais in follow-up house-to-house searches.
2 (also assegai wood) A South African tree of the dogwood family, which yields hard timber.
- Curtisia dentata, family Cornaceae
- They surveyed the forest and studied the trees, identifying yellow wood, stinkwood, assegai wood, pear, alder and half a dozen other varieties.
- Other common trees of the forests read like nature's picnic basket: wild pear, wild peach, African holly, assegai wood, forest olive or ironwood, white stinkwood… the list goes on.
verbo (assegais, assegaing, assegaied)[with object] Volver al principio
Wound or kill with an assegai: he was a very brave man but he was eventually assegaied
Más ejemplos en oraciones
- We retired well, but I shall never forget the Kaffirs getting in amongst us and assegaing our poor fellows.
- Many of the soldiers indeed were assegaied before they could leave their tents, most were slaughtered at once, but a few managed to swim across the river.
- One determined Zulu even jumped over the barricade and assegaied a disoriented patient to death, though he himself was quickly picked off by a British rifleman.
Definición de assegai en:
- Inglés de EE.UU. dictionary
¿Qué te llama la atención de esta palabra o frase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan