- Melancholy or irritable: an atrabilious old manMás ejemplos en oraciones
- The atrabilious maladies to which artists were supposedly vulnerable included lovesickness and plague.
- Serena refused to invite the atrabilious Mr. Morne, who could spoil a party just by opening his mouth.
- When the atrabilious humour is in too much abundance melancholia, characterized by aversion to food, despondency, sleeplessness, irritability, restlessness and depression could result.
mid 17th century (in the sense 'affected by black bile', one of the four supposed cardinal humours of the body, believed to cause melancholy): from Latin atra bilis 'black bile', translation of Greek melankholia 'melancholy', + -ious.
Más definiciones de atrabiliousDefinición de atrabilious en:
- el diccionario Inglés de EE.UU.