- Perhaps you mean that we need the moral imprimatur of this august and esteemed body.
- I suspect that the good Rabbie, who also enjoyed partaking of strong alcohol, would have been in his element surrounded by such an august body of men.
- This august body has been set up to help promote independent Glasgow restaurants and the culinary delights to be discovered therein.
- Example sentences
- Darwin may rest augustly beside Sir Isaac Newton in Westminster Abbey, while Wallace lies modestly in the little cemetery in Broadstone.
- But Her Majesty openly rendered to Diana the sort of augustly understated nod that her top courtiers offer her day by day.
- Example sentences
- Still, while he is willing to throw over the old time augustness, he may not entirely appreciate the social changes he is speaking to.
- This palace of kings is based on the grandeur and augustness of Roman imperial empire.
- In America, the same augustness is reflected by his regular presence in the New Yorker and on university syllabuses.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan
- In August of the same year he organized an unprecedented summer school in Vienna.
- Of the six women to die in the 12 months to August, an inquest on only one has been held to date.
- He will return to his base in two weeks' time before taking a month off in August.
octopus from (mid 18th century):
This is from Greek oktōpous, from oktō meaning eight and pous ‘foot’. The prefix gives us words like octagon (late 16th century) an eight-sided figure and octogenarian (early 19th century), someone aged between 80 and 89. In the modern world October (Old English) is the tenth month, but the word comes from Latin octo because it was the eighth month in the Roman calendar. It became the tenth month after the addition of July (named after Julius Caesar), and August (named after the Emperor Augustus) in the 1st century bc.
Definición de august en:
- Inglés de EE.UU. dictionary
¿Qué te llama la atención de esta palabra o frase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.