- 1Favouring or enforcing strict obedience to authority at the expense of personal freedom: the transition from an authoritarian to a democratic regimeMás ejemplos en oraciones
autocratic, dictatorial, totalitarian, despotic, tyrannical, autarchic, draconian, absolute, arbitrary, oppressive, repressive, illiberal, undemocratic, anti-democratic; disciplinarian, domineering, doctrinaire, dogmatic, overweening, overbearing, high-handed, bossy, peremptory, imperious, harsh, strict, severe, rigid, inflexible, unyielding
- The historiography reveals insights into the authoritarian mindset of freedom fighters shaped as a product of oppression and armed resistance.
- The church and the Communist Party were both, it used to be argued, dogmatic and authoritarian institutions, demanding obedience and total commitment.
- These rules had been strongly enforced during authoritarian regimes to the point that people risked imprisonment or even death if they failed to follow them.
- 1.1Showing a lack of concern for the wishes or opinions of others; dictatorial: he had an authoritarian and at times belligerent mannerMás ejemplos en oraciones
- Staff were also concerned about authoritarian management practices and a lack of transparency in appointments.
- Children of authoritarian parents lacked social skills with their peers.
- The calls strengthened public opinion that she is authoritarian and allergic to criticism.
sustantivoVolver al principio
- An authoritarian person.Más ejemplos en oraciones
- The power structures may have changed, but authoritarians will still abuse power however they can.
- But the agenda of right-wing authoritarians did not change.
- Their dirty little secret is that they know that the majority of Americans are not by nature authoritarians - they are individualists and communitarians.
- Más ejemplos en oraciones
- Something of the dictator's authoritarianism will survive him.
- But it was written before the second world war and is actually a warning about authoritarianism and fascism.
- He represents traditional elite authoritarianism - along with its fear of the people and distrust of democracy.