1The rear door of a building.
Oraciones de ejemplo
- They pushed open the back doors and entered the building, passing by the control room and up the concrete back stairs, heading for their changing rooms.
- Bob pried open one of the back doors to the building, and they all scrambled out into the cool night air.
- Veon threw open his door and opened the back doors, grabbing his pistols and stuffing them into his belt.
1.1 [as modifier] Achieved by using indirect or dishonest means: a back-door tax increase
Más ejemplos en oraciones
- The problem with such a ‘solution’, of course, is that it is a slightly dishonest, back-door way of achieving a result which accords with justice.
- It is wrong, it is a back-door tax, and we totally disagree with it.
- That is why the National Party opposes this ridiculous back-door tax.
1.2A feature or defect of a computer system that allows surreptitious unauthorized access to data.
Oraciones de ejemplo
- Around the same time, Mydoom.A was infecting machines around the world, leaving a small backdoor to each infected computer.
- Once downloaded, the victim unwittingly activates the backdoor by compiling Sendmail from source code.
- It also attempts to open a backdoor on infected Windows PCs, allowing hackers to exploit compromised systems.
by (or through) the back door
- Using indirect or dishonest means to achieve an objective: this form of franchising will be seen as privatization by the back doorMás ejemplos en oraciones
- This is state sponsorship of campaigns to achieve political goals by the back door.
- But, as the chairman explained, that might be good enough to achieve promotion by the back door.
- It is obvious this shortfall will have to be paid by the taxpayer - through the back door, by council tax increases of ten per cent.
For editors and proofreaders
Saltos de línea: back door
Definición de back door en:
¿Qué te llama la atención de esta palabra o frase?
Los comentarios que no respeten nuestras Normas comunitarias podrían ser moderados o eliminados.
Muy popular en Reino Unido
Muy popular en Australia
= de moda