Definición de backveld en inglés:
sustantivo(the backveld) South African
Remote country districts, especially when considered to be unsophisticated or conservative.
- Thus inducted, these mechanic para-geologists were dispersed through the backveld, each in charge of a drill, and spent a minimum of three years working in a division to acquire experience, reading and boring the local geology.
- These state-printed-and-distributed texts were an important medium for educating the backveld in geological theory and hydraulic engineering practice.
- The popular antipathy on the backveld towards geological and engineering science constituted a serious ideological obstacle to state water boring.
partial translation of Afrikaans agterveld, literally 'back countryside'.
- Example sentences
- Progressives' preferred image of the diviner was of a ‘knave’ preying on the credulity of ignorant backvelders to defraud them.
- Apparently this was an attempt by the Backvelders to challenge the enthusiasm of the townspeople in the various centres who had been passing loyal resolutions in favour of the expedition and of confidence in the Union Government.
- Among the Backvelders there appeared to have been some misunderstanding as to whether the South Africans were subjects or merely friends of the British Government.
¿Qué te llama la atención de esta palabra o frase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan