Definición de banana en inglés:
1A long curved fruit which grows in clusters and has soft pulpy flesh and yellow skin when ripe: a bunch of bananas
Más ejemplos en oraciones
- Towers started a fruit farm, growing bananas and avocados.
- Her eyes widened when she saw the bright orange pumpkins, the ripe yellow bananas, silks with colors that she had never before seen.
- Farmers grow corn, cassava, peanuts, bananas, and citrus fruits for their own consumption.
2 (also banana plant or banana tree) The tropical and subtropical palm-like plant which bears bananas, having very large leaves but lacking a woody trunk.
- Genus Musa, family Musaceae: several species, in particular M. sapientum
- Here, people cultivate the ensete plant, which looks like a banana tree, but its trunk pulp is prepared and eaten.
- I heard of one gardener in North Carolina who protected his banana plant in his front yard by surrounding the plant with bags and bags of leaves.
- Vivienne's smile turned wistful and she turned to snap a picture of sunlight filtering through the leaves of a banana tree.
go (or be) bananas informal
- Become (or be) mad or extremely silly: everyone’s beginning to think I’m bananasMás ejemplos en oraciones
- Have they all gone bananas at the Banana Warehouse in Piccadilly, York?
- And back in his old stomping grounds of Graz the politicians went bananas.
- A Burnley headteacher has gone bananas and accused the Government of letting down needy children by leaving them out of a scheme to provide pupils with free fruit.
- 1.1Become extremely angry or excited: she went bananas when I said I was going to leave the jobMás ejemplos en oraciones
- Sections of the farming community are going bananas about quarantine today.
- I never really got close to executing the plan because the market was pretty much going bananas over the low mortgage rates.
- The Polynesian grappler immediately went bananas and came after me, but I slipped into the locker room, shut the door, and locked it.
top (or second) banana
- informal The most (or second most) important person in an organization: a top banana of the MafiaMás ejemplos en oraciones
- Gira's originals play second banana, occupying the record's back third.
- This longtime second banana is finally a leader for the improving Thrashers.
- They are the stars, and they're going to talk with SHOWBIZ TONIGHT about their breakout roles and what it's like to play second banana to a great ape.