Definición de banyan en inglés:
1 (also banyan tree) An Indian fig tree, the branches of which produce wide-ranging aerial roots which later become accessory trunks.
- Ficus benghalensis, family Moraceae
- The monument is a massive flagpole entwined with the trunk and branches of a symbolic banyan tree forged in steel.
- Then it scampered off up the aerial roots of a nearby banyan tree.
- A porter stops to rest under the shade of a huge banyan tree, its trunk twisting out of the earth and its umbrella-like branches arching over a granite stairway.
2A loose flannel undergarment worn in India.
- In their saris, salwar kameez, kurtas, t-shirts, trousers, lunghis and banians, people from Assam to Kerala, from Gujarat to Jharkhand, were gathering in Mumbai for the World Social Forum.
- In contrast to more reserved garments like the banyan, the kilt became a symbol of a rough-hewn paradise.
- Also of interest is a rare crimson damask banyan - an early precursor of the dressing gown - of early 18 th-century silk, worn by Thomas Severne, Gentleman of the Bed Chamber to King William III.
Definición de banyan en:
- Inglés de EE.UU. dictionary
¿Qué te llama la atención de esta palabra o frase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan