- 1Absence of culture and civilization: the collapse of civilization and the return to barbarismMás ejemplos en oraciones
- As the parties seeking to destroy modern civilization and return to barbarism have put anti-Semitism at the top of their programs, this civilization is apparently a creation of the Jews.
- There is an insightful section on the Bolsheviks' fear of hooliganism and their tendency to link disorder and barbarism with popular culture.
- And like past challenges to civilization, such barbarism thrives on Western appeasement and considers enlightened deference as weakness, if not decadence.
- 1.1 [count noun] A word or expression which is badly formed according to traditional philological rules, e.g. a word formed from elements of different languages, such as breathalyser (English and Greek) or television (Greek and Latin).Más ejemplos en oraciones
- Purism, however, also has its barbarisms, such as the quasiclassical plurals octopi and syllabi for octopus and syllabus, competing with octopuses and syllabuses.
- For instance, Fowler preferred Britishism to Briticism, labelling the latter a barbarism; Burchfield simply comments that Briticism is now the more usual term in scholarly work.
- It was printed in hard-to-read Gothic font, and is reproduced with all its original barbarisms, spellings and syntax.
- 2Extreme cruelty or brutality: she called the execution an act of barbarismMás ejemplos en oraciones
- The history of mankind is littered with appalling acts of barbarism, cruelty and hatred.
- FROM 1933, when Adolf Hitler came to power, till the death of Nazism in 1945, Germans unleashed a reign of terror, cruelty and barbarism hitherto unknown in the history of mankind.
- With equal firmness we should demand of the Arab governments and the Arab media their condemnation of barbarism, brutality and terrorism in their own communities.
late Middle English: from Old French barbarisme, via Latin from Greek barbarismos, from barbarizein 'speak like a foreigner', from barbaros 'foreign'.
Más definiciones de barbarismDefinición de barbarism en:
- el diccionario Inglés de EE.UU.