(also bardee or bardy)
sustantivo (plural bardies)Australian
- The edible larva or pupa of certain insects, in particular:
Más ejemplos en oraciones
- ● a longhorn beetle that bores within stems (Bardistus cibarius, family Cerambycidae). ● a moth that develops underground on roots (family Hepialidae, especially Trictena argentata).
- They also enjoy beetle grubs known as bardees and green tree ants mashed into a paste with water and used as a drink.
- It has a sort of Australian twang to it and is in common with several other similar phrases, all with the same meaning: starve the bardies [bardies are grubs], stiffen the crows, spare the crow.
- The best way to find bardies is to find a local who knows what he is talking about.
mid 19th century: from Nyungar (and other Aboriginal languages) bardi.