- 1A large farm building used for storing grain, hay, or straw or for housing livestock.Más ejemplos en oraciones
- Also within the wall would have been a well, latrines, a chapel, workshops, barns, pens for livestock, hen houses and perhaps other outbuildings.
- On the way to the working farm, they marvel at the bucolic scene - rolling hills with acres of corn and soybean fields, the green pastures interspersed with barns and farm houses.
- Clean livestock barns have fewer fly problems.
- 1.1North American A large shed used for storing road or railway vehicles.Más ejemplos en oraciones
- One barn featured rapid transit cars that were awaiting some restoration.
- ALL Santa wants for Christmas is a new barn, shed or stable for his sleigh.
- In the car barn we saw numbers 2002 through 6 in various stages of build.
- 1.2A large and uninviting building: a great barn of a pubMás ejemplos en oraciones
- It was a great barn of a place with a cement floor, fibreboard partitions and windows only at the extreme river end.
- If you're not enlightened, Savemart is this big second-hand barn of a store nestled in the industrial sprawl of northern Te Rapa.
- He had a whole room of metal-working equipment, a room full of wood-working equipment, and this huge barn of a room for electronics.
Old English bern, berern, from bere 'barley' + ern, ærn 'house'.
- A unit of area, 10−28 square metres, used especially in particle physics.Más ejemplos en oraciones
- While the barn is not an SI unit, it is accepted (although discouraged) for use with the SI.
- The barn is typically used to measure the cross section for nuclear reactions.
- Cross-sections are measured in barns, 10-28 m2.
1940s: apparently from the phrase as big as a barn door.