- 1chiefly British A bowl for washing, typically attached to a wall and having taps connected to a water supply; a washbasin.Más ejemplos en oraciones
- ‘I liked the traditional idea of washing with a basin and ewer,’ he reflects.
- To the right of the fireplace was a washing basin, filled to the brim with crisp water form the well for the workers.
- After finishing breakfast she washed the plates in the water basin, along with the bowl that Checkers had licked clean, and returned them to their proper places.
- 2A wide open container used for preparing food or for holding liquid: she poured water from the jug into the basinMás ejemplos en oraciones
- People saw them turn over her basins of food and all the tofu products, eggs and all, splashed on the ground.
- Put the cream cheese, mascarpone, caster sugar, eggs and the extra yolk in the basin of a food mixer (you will need the beater attachment).
- Some of his flagons, tankards, plates, saucers, salts, basins, and chamber pots, although unspecified as to material, were undoubtedly also made of pewter.
- 3A circular or oval valley or natural depression on the earth’s surface, especially one containing water: the loch is cupped in a shallow basin among low hillsMás ejemplos en oraciones
- The lower basin needed that water to ship a few barges of grain and other commodities along the channelized river.
- The lock is a popular angling pitch, as it provides a natural basin and is usually rich in salmon and trout.
- Jutting mountains and low basins form a range of habitats suitable for a broad spectrum of terrestrial and freshwater species.
- 3.1The tract of country drained by a river and its tributaries, or which drains into a lake or sea: the Amazon basinMás ejemplos en oraciones
- The team was on the 17 April flight to seed clouds in the Walker and Carson river basins south of Lake Tahoe.
- Assistance to the Land Forces in defensive and offensive operations in coastal sectors, as well as in areas of lake and river basins adjacent to the front.
- Both species are distributed widely across eastern North America, including the Great Lakes and Ohio River drainage basins.
- 3.2An enclosed area of water where boats can be moored: the gravel pit is to be used as a yacht basinMás ejemplos en oraciones
- He returned to his boat at the yacht basin and fell into the water after feeling ill as he boarded the boat.
- The marine development proposed by Smith & Son Investments will consist of an ocean marina with a yacht basin.
- Some had ventured beyond the yacht basin, but few had gone further than Port of Spain.
- 3.3 Geology A circumscribed rock formation where the strata dip towards the centre.Más ejemplos en oraciones
- These basins were interpreted to contain thick Old Red Sandstone sediments and to have resulted from the extensional collapse of thickened Caledonian crust.
- In other parts of the Selendi and Usak-Gure basins, the group contains only tilted sedimentary units due to the extensional tectonics in the region.
- These polygonal basins contain up to 6 km of sediment overlying a salt layer several kilometres thick.
- Más ejemplos en oraciones
- Private houses generally contributed a halfpenny a week, and farmers gave a basinful or a nogin of flour.
- Huge basinfuls of the stuff wrapped in fresh banana leaves, were eaten with some fresh, hot palm oil stew.
- We often went down on a Sunday to scoop up basinfuls of capelin when they washed ashore.
Middle English: from Old French bacin, from medieval Latin bacinus, from bacca 'water container', perhaps of Gaulish origin.