(US also battleax)
1A large broad-bladed axe used in ancient warfare.
Oraciones de ejemplo
- Weaponry consisted of battleaxes, thrusting spears and daggers for the infantry, while the leaders in their battlewagons carry sheafs of javelins.
- Most of the Order of Tomanâk's knights were medium or heavy horse who fought with lance, sword, battleaxe, or mace.
- They armed themselves with a range of dangerous weapons such as battleaxes and knives deployed in frequent fights for control and authority in and around the mining complexes.
2 informal A formidably aggressive older woman: a battleaxe with inflexible house rules
Más ejemplos en oraciones
- So I went to Woolworths (I wasn't going to confront one of those painted battleaxes in House of Fraser) and bought some brown mascara.
- Women in uniform were portrayed as brainless glamour girls, in the military for a good time, or as man-hating battleaxes.
- The town's most eligible young widow - well, older than he is by about ten years, but still, far from being the battleaxe he'd imagined her to be - is definitely coming on to him.
For editors and proofreaders
Saltos de línea: battle|axe
Definición de battleaxe en:
¿Qué te llama la atención de esta palabra o frase?
Los comentarios que no respeten nuestras Normas comunitarias podrían ser moderados o eliminados.
Muy popular en Reino Unido
Muy popular en Australia
= de moda