1The leading sheep of a flock, with a bell on its neck.
Oraciones de ejemplo
- So a bellwether is the head ram with a bell hung around its neck.
- Docile as a bellwether sheep, he let himself be led away, and the rest of the castaways crowded close behind him.
- There is truly nowhere a sheep will not follow the bellwether.
1.1Something that leads or indicates a trend: Basildon is now the bellwether of Britain’s voting behaviour
Más ejemplos en oraciones
- Whether recent gains can be sustained after that will depend on the ability of financial and other industrial stocks to catch up with bellwether electronics that have led the upturn.
- In the days prior to the announcement the market had been nervous that a set of disappointing figures from the bellwether of the tech stocks could have precipitated a significant drop in share prices.
- Some mention the study in bellwether terms, indicating that it's time for more clinical study of over-the-counter treatments in dermatology and other industries.
For editors and proofreaders
Saltos de línea: bell|wether
¿Qué te llama la atención de esta palabra o frase?
Los comentarios que no respeten nuestras Normas comunitarias podrían ser moderados o eliminados.
Muy popular en Reino Unido
Muy popular en Australia
= de moda