1The action of gambling money on the outcome of a race, game, or other unpredictable event: football pools and other forms of betting
Más ejemplos en oraciones
- From the 1930s the states in turn legalised state lotteries and off-course betting on horse races, and introduced casinos for continuous gambling.
- There was some spirited betting on the outcome to the sixth race with steady support for at least four of the runners.
- The NBA wouldn't even allow Toronto to have a franchise unless legal betting on NBA games was abolished in the whole province of Ontario.
1.1The odds offered by bookmakers on the outcome of races, games, etc. Atlantic Way headed the betting at 2-1
Más ejemplos en oraciones
- In the opening heat of round two, betting was very open with the layers offering 2/1 and better the field.
- Days before the election, Ladbrokes was offering betting odds on Labour of 25-1 on.
- In fact, the $4 for a two-goal winning margin was the largest single payout of the morning when betting options were offered for six matches.
the betting is
- informal It is likely: the betting is that the company will slash the dividendMás ejemplos en oraciones
- The White House refused to say how long the spokesman would stay on, but the betting is that he's likely to step down sometime next year.
- To avoid different voting systems, the betting is that STV will be recommended for parliamentary elections too.
- In any case where a returned exile seeks to build on the land that was owned by the family, if they are lucky enough to still own it, the betting is roughly nine to one they will be refused.
in (or out of) the betting
- Likely (or unlikely) to be among the winners of a horse race and given appropriate odds: a formidable Irish challenge, with the first seven horses in the betting all being trained across the waterMás ejemplos en oraciones
- Johnston has the next two horses in the betting.
- Tycoon is currently fifth in the betting for the race after a poor run in the Juddmonte International at York.
- He had been 14-1 second favourite for the National, before bookmakers took him out of the betting following the decision by the Naas stewards.
what's the betting?
- British informal Used to express a belief that something is likely: what’s the betting he’s up to no good?Más ejemplos en oraciones
- She has already racked up her first £20m - what's the betting she makes another few next year?
- Meanwhile, I'm off to London next week, and what's the betting that the loony on the train sits next to me?
- Given that food advice is so faddish, what's the betting that in 10 years time, somebody will come out with ‘research’ that proves the opposite?
For editors and proofreaders
Saltos de línea: bet|ting
Definición de betting en:
¿Qué te llama la atención de esta palabra o frase?
Los comentarios que no respeten nuestras Normas comunitarias podrían ser moderados o eliminados.
Muy popular en Reino Unido
Muy popular en Australia
= de moda