sustantivo (plural billies)chiefly Australian /NZ
A tin or enamel cooking pot with a lid and a wire handle, for use when camping: Roger had our fire going and the billy boiling
Más ejemplos en oraciones
- And he sang as he watched and waited ‘til his billy boiled
- In my memory and imagination, I always associate them with many picnics in many places, boiling the billy in their shade, by beach, river, lake, lagoon or creek.
- By 1.30 we were back at the saddle where Jeanie had the billy boiling, and thus refreshed we bid au revoir to the Matuki and the friendly keas and set off down the valley again.
boil the billy
- Australian /NZ informal Make tea: they boil the billy for a morning cup of teaMás ejemplos en oraciones
- On returning home they'd boiled the billy and had a good laugh over their endeavours.
- One of our very dedicated volunteers came out, "boiled the billy", and fed us.
- He says they stop the train every now and then to point out interesting features on the landscape or to boil the billy.
swing (or sling) the billy
- Australian /NZ informal Prepare to make tea, especially as an act of hospitality.Oraciones de ejemplo
- When a friend calls to see a resident in the colony, it is usual to swing the billy and offer him, at least, a cup of tea.
- They stopped for lunch: "Swing the billy, will you, Roy?" Caroline heard one of the musterers call.
- The cracking of stock-whips among the tree-ferns near may cause the lonely hut dweller to swing the billy, intent on hospitable thoughts.
Palabras que riman con billyBillie, Chile, chilli (US chili), chilly, Dili, dilly, filly, frilly, ghillie, gillie, Gilly, hilly, Lillee, lily, Lyly, papillae, Philly, Piccadilly, piccalilli, silly, skilly, stilly, Tilly, willy-nilly
sustantivo (plural billies)
1 short for billy goat.
Oraciones de ejemplo
- More mild mannered than full-sized goats, these little billies and nannies have become the latest must-have pets for Christmas.
- It was a young billy, useless for milking, but pretty.
- Some of the younger billies were locking horns in mock fights watched over by the full-bearded patriarch of the herd, a venerable old fellow like something out of the Book of Revelations.
2 (also billy club) North American A truncheon.
Oraciones de ejemplo
- The Gangs of New York ‘sports set’ featuring a billy club, a shiv and a board with a nail driven through it.
- And since our image is the most intimate part of our message that dissent exists and we are its faces they can disempower democratic assembly without swinging a single billy club.
- However, I saw a San Antonio police officer yesterday who had three sets of handcuffs, three loaded Glock magazines, one Glock pistol, radios, telephones, a billy club, sunglasses and heaven knows what he was carrying I couldn't see.
Mid 19th century: from Billy, pet form of the given name William.
¿Qué te llama la atención de esta palabra o frase?
Los comentarios que no respeten nuestras Normas comunitarias podrían ser moderados o eliminados.
Muy popular en Reino Unido
Muy popular en Australia
= de moda