- A built-in housing for a ship’s compass.Más ejemplos en oraciones
- Those that are averse - in a figurative sense - to inspecting hulls and flicking compass binnacles can steam straight into the action via the Patrols option.
- Twin anti-aircraft gun barrels are coated with red sponge, a compass binnacle lies broken and beheaded and another has rolled away among other debris.
- On the brass binnacle containing the compass were engraved the words, ‘I am the Way, the Truth and the Life’.
late 15th century (as bittacle): from Spanish bitácula, bitácora or Portuguese bitacola, from Latin habitaculum 'dwelling place', from habitare 'inhabit'. The change to binnacle occurred in the mid 18th century.
Más definiciones de binnacleDefinición de binnacle en:
- el diccionario Inglés de EE.UU.