- 1Sharpness of taste; lack of sweetness: the lime juice imparts a slight bitternessMás ejemplos en oraciones
sharpness, acidity, pungency, acridity, tartness, sourness, harshness, vinegariness, acerbityresentment, resentfulness, embitteredness, dissatisfaction, disgruntlement, discontent, grudge, pique, indignation, sourness, rancour, spite, sullenness, churlishness, moroseness, petulance, peevishness, spleen, acrimonytrauma, pain, painfulness, agony, grief; unpleasantness, disagreeableness, nastiness, awfulness; upset, heartache, heartbreak, unhappiness, misery, wretchedness, sorrow, sadness, distress, desolation, despair, desperation, poignancy, tragedyiciness, frostiness, chilliness, chill; penetration, intensity, bite, nip, sting, sharpness, keenness, rawness, harshness, wintrinessBritish • informal parkinessacrimony, hostility, antipathy, antagonism, enmity, animus, friction, virulence, anger, rancour, spite, spitefulness, vindictiveness, viciousness, vitriol, savagery, ferocity, hate, hatred, loathing, detestation, venom, poison, bile, nastiness, ill feeling, ill will, bad blood, malignity, malevolence• literary or • archaic choler
- A beer in which neither the sweetness of the malt nor the bitterness of the hops predominates.
- The Chaudron Ale Quebecoise is a clear straw color with a very light pale malt flavor with pronounced hop bitterness.
- However, supertasters may also snub vegetables, such as broccoli and cauliflower, because they can detect a slight bitterness in their flavor as well.
- 2Anger and disappointment at being treated unfairly; resentment: he expressed bitterness over his dismissal without noticeMás ejemplos en oraciones
- Meanwhile the weavers' strike still continued in all its bitterness.
- That night of July 18, 1914, the immortal Darcy seemed to feel the bitterness of defeat less than his supporters did.
- Me, I'd be curled up in a fetal position in bed, railing against the bitterness of life.